We started by cutting out the pieces for the front cabinets! They are mostly 1/2″ birch ply with one section of 3/4″ birch for the head board section. I used the 5’x5′ baltic birch plywood sheets that were superior in surface quality as well as uniformity to the 4’x8′ plywood you can also find.
I decided on tongue and groove which makes assembly a snap, but also adds a bit of work to get the height settings of the tongue and groove bits correct so the pieces match up correctly. It also took some extra time to cut the groves in the middle of a few pieces with a straight edge and a 1/4″ straight bit. Chip out was a problem as well but I managed to fix that by taking a shallower cut first, and reducing the speed of the router on the groove cuts.
Labeling the individual pieces of the cabinets is a must. Also labeling good and bad side, and tongue and groove sections helped avoid many mistakes.
Using the template for the inside section of the wall I was able to trim the cabinets to fit the profile nicely.